There are very specific requirements for determining eligibility for an F-1 Academic Student visa. Give us a call to find out if you qualify.

Throughout the world, the United States is renowned for its world-class educational opportunities. From prestigious four-year universities to top-ranking high schools, as well as seminaries, conservatories and even elementary schools, the United States has always attracted some of the world’s brightest minds. In fact, according to a report released by the Bureau of Consular Affairs, in 2010 over 540,000 people applied for an F-1 student visa, with over 385,000 visas being issued. If you are looking to join the ranks of students who are applying for the chance to study in America, then the F-1 visa may be for you – and we can help.

At Pozo Goldstein, LLP, we know how difficult the immigration process can be and we are therefore fully prepared to go above and beyond in our efforts to ensure that it goes as smoothly as possible for you. If you would like to learn more about how we can help you in applying for a student visa in the F-1 category, we encourage you to give an immigration lawyer from our call today. We know what is on the line and we know how much is at stake. You can rest assured knowing that we will go above and beyond to help you protect your best interests and to pursue a student visa.

About the F-1 Visa: Who is eligible?

There are very specific requirements for determining eligibility for an F-1 student visa. First, the applicant must be a permanent resident in a foreign country and must show clear indications that they have no intentions of abandoning that residence. They must also make it clear that they have every intention of staying in the United States only for the time of their educational course; upon the completion, they should make it clear that they intend to leave for home. The final qualification involves finances. The student must be able to show that they have sufficient financial backing to be able to provide for themselves while staying in the United States; this way, they will not become a financial burden on the country during their visit.

The following forms and documents must be submitted upon filing:

  • Form I-20A-B Certificate of Eligibility
  • Form DS-160 Online Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application
  • Valid passport for travel into the United States
  • One 2×2 photograph meeting all requirements
  • Receipts for the SEVIS I-901 fee and MRC fee
  • All applicable transcripts and diplomas
  • Scores / results from necessary standardized tests
  • Financial evidence
  • Can I bring spouse and children when I leave to go study?

    In many cases, students will want to bring along their spouse and child(ren) when they leave to the United States to go study, especially if they are going to be gone for years at a time. For this reason, spouses and children can apply for a separate, but related, visa. Spouses are able to seek admission into the United States under the F-2 visa and children may be filed under the F-3 as dependants of the F-1 holder. It is recommended that all of these visas are filed for at the same time, instead of filing for the F-1 and then later filing for the F-2 and F-3, to ensure that the entire family can travel to the U.S. at the same time.

    How long can I stay in the U.S. on an F-1 visa?

    One of the most pertinent questions that will be asked of people who are seeking to enter into the U.S. on an F-1 visa is how long they will be able to stay. The answer, however, depends solely on the circumstances of the student. Generally speaking, once granted an F-1 visa, students are able to stay within the country for as long as they are planning to be studying. This applies even of the F-1 expires during the stay. This is known as the duration of your studies (often shortened to “D/S”) and can be months or years.

    For example, if a student applies for an F-1 visa and is valid for five years, they are still legally able to stay after this expiration has passed, so long as they remain a valid and full-time student. They will, however, have to apply for a new visa if they plan to leave the country and return at any point following the expiration of their visa. After the studies have ceased, the F-1 visa holder has an additional 60 days to make any necessary preparations to leave the country or to make a transfer to another school.

    Helping Students Pursue International Education

    Looking to apply for a student visa? Want help in becoming a full-time student in America? Do not hesitate to get the involvement of a lawyer from Pozo Goldstein, LLP! Our firm is proud to serve students throughout the country and is able to provide legal services in Spanish, Portuguese, Italian and French. If you would like help in applying for this category of visa, if you are looking to re-apply or if you are concerned about re-entry after leaving temporarily, then we have the legal experience that you need. We have years of experience that we can put to work for you, including experience as former U.S. immigration prosecutors. To learn more about how we can help, call us today.