Replacing a green card can be stressful. If you don’t know whether or not you need to replace a green card, we encourage you to contact our office today.

From the time it is issued, a green card will remain valid for a total of ten years. The only exception to this ten-year status is when a green card is issued for the purpose of conditional permanent residence, in which case it will remain valid for a total of two years. Accordingly, some holders of a green card will need to renew their card if they wish to stay in the United States at the time of the card’s expiration. In other instances, a permanent resident might need to replace their green card. This is often true of conditional residents whose two-year stay in the U.S. comes to a close more quickly than originally anticipated.

Replacing a green card can be stressful, especially if you are unfamiliar with the exact ins and outs of the process. As such, we encourage permanent residents to connect with Pozo Goldstein, LLP before beginning the process. By accessing the information that we provide about the process (which can be found below), and then speaking to a New York City immigration lawyer at our office, you can confidently move forward with the process of replacing your green card. According to the regulations for green card replacement that have been implemented by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), a green card can be replaced if:

  • The original card was lost or stolen or destroyed
  • The card was issued before the permanent resident turned 14 years of age, in which case the permanent resident will need to replace his or her card upon their 14th birthday
  • The green card holder plans on adjusting his or her status from permanent residency to commuter status
  • The green card holder is currently a commuter and is looking to establish an actual residence in the U.S.
  • The status of a green card holder has been automatically changed to permanent resident status
  • The green card contains incorrect information about the permanent resident
  • The permanent resident never actually received his or her original green card
  • The card holder is in possession of an outdated version of the alien registration card
  • The name (or other personal information) on the card has since changed and the green card no longer reflects the card holder’s current identity accurately
  • Replace your card with our help!

    More than 90 years of collective experience can be found at the law office of Pozo Goldstein, LLP, where a team of former immigration prosecutors and a former U.S. judge make up our firm’s legal group. Rich with experience and legal prowess that sets us apart from other practicing attorneys in the field, we feel confident in our ability to help those individuals who are in need of professional guidance with their immigration issue. The level of assistance that we are prepared to provide to our clients extends to green card applicants and current card holders as well.

    If you are unsure about whether or not you need to replace your green card, we encourage you to contact our office today. Doing so will connect you with a professional whose knowledge of the law can be used to help you determine if replacing your card is a necessary step for your case. Twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week, we make ourselves available to individuals who are seeking advice, representation, or defense for an immigration matter of any nature. You can contact us today online or by calling our office at 646-461-6838.